So the husband and I have been super into cold brew coffee these days! Somewhere along the way of a wedding, Christmas, and Chris’s birthday in December we accumulated a large amount of coffee. Now that is in no way a complaint, thank you to all who gave us coffee! We just have been dying to try them all so we decided to branch into iced coffee, and now we are OBSESSED!
Disclaimer: Even though this is homemade, I don’t know if this is cheaper then just buying iced coffee from a coffee shop, because of the high coffee to water ratio, but it will make you feel cooler and more hipster-y! Also it is delicious and super simple…so why not?
Here’s the final product**:
**Super cool blue straw not included in recipe.
Instructions for Best Cold Brew Coffee
- Use a coffee grinder to grind your coffee bean of choice into a coarse grind. (Really listen about the coarse grind, I went a bit overzealous on one batch and it was waaayy to strong). Note if you don’t have coffee grinder or prefer pre-ground beans then go for it! I just think it is more fresh to grind your own.
- Find a large air-tight container…mine was not glamorous, just a large tupperware bowl with a cover.
- Place ground coffee and water in 3 to 1 ratio (3 cups of water for every cup of coffee). Then seal container and let it sit on the counter for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours (or overnight), strain coffee/water mixture.
6. Once coffee is sufficiently cool, poor 1/2 a cup over ice and then add 1/2 cup of milk, and 1 tsp of vanilla=the perfect coffee!
Milk time + vanilla= Awesome! It actually tastes like a sweetened fancy coffee drinks from starbucks, but in reality there is no sugar added!
FYI: We also tried making cold brew coffee with pre-ground coffee, and it definitely was not as good as grinding your own fresh.